W Hotels Worldwide, part of Marriott International, has opened its second Australian property, the W Melbourne.
Located at 408 Flinders Lane in the heart of the city’s energetic, eclectic fashion district, the property has 294 guestrooms, 29 suites, and multiple dining and drink options as well as nearly 9,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
“Melbourne is the perfect locale for the playfully luxe spirit of the W brand and we could not be more excited to unveil this highly anticipated hotel to the world,” said Jennie Toh, vice-president of Brand Marketing and Brand Management, Asia Pacific, Marriott International. “From its unique, locally inspired design to its eclectic lineup of restaurants and bars, W Melbourne is destined to redefine the luxury hotel scene here and become a must-go destination for travellers and local scene-stealers alike.”
Australian architecture and interior design firm Hachem created the property to reflect the city’s diversity, culture and history. Some unique design details and property highlights include:
- Floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the city’s skyline in all guestrooms and suites.
- A wall graphic of a fairy wren, a bird native to Australia, pulling back a layer of fabric to reveal a colourful Melbourne scene in “Marvelous” category rooms.
- A 1,885-square-foot Extreme Wow Suite (W Hotels’ interpretation of the traditional presidential suite) on the property’s 15th floor, featuring a large balcony with views of the Yarra River and an interactive music station.
- Four f&b outlets: Lollo, an all-day dining restaurant guided by chef Adam D’Sylva; Warabi, a signature Japanese restaurant with seating for only 30 diners and a private dining room for 10; Culprit, which channels Melbourne’s café culture into an original bar concept; and Curious (shown in the photo at top of post), a cocktail bar in a cocoon-inspired space formed by its overhead timber beams in a parametric sequence, low lighting and muted colour palette.
- A 4,585-square-foot pillarless ballroom—Great Room—with natural light and a 4×5-meter LED wall.
- FIT and WET on the 14th floor, which delivers spectacular views alongside an ultramodern fitness facility, gold-roofed indoor pool, poolside bar and DJ booth.
- A vast lenticular art installation by local painter and digital artist Rus Kitchin in the lobby.
W Hotels Worldwide is a luxe lifestyle brand with nearly 60 properties around the world.