Wynn Las Vegas has launched a new Zero Carbon, Zero Waste Event service for clients producing group events in the Wynn and Encore meeting and convention space.
The new program was developed in tandem with Wynn’s Energy and Sustainability Department. It ensures the most sustainable event possible using a six-point zero carbon, zero waste method that is overseen by specially trained convention service managers.
“A new era of eco-innovation is being ushered into the global MICE industry as companies require more stringent sustainability capabilities from their event host venues,” said Erik Hansen, chief sustainability officer, Wynn Resorts. “At Wynn, we’ve invented solutions to complex environmental issues without compromising our commitment to five-star service. The result is a state-of-the-art event with an immediate and measurable sustainability impact that clients can be proud of.”
Wynn can deliver a zero-carbon event because all its convention space is powered by 100 percent renewable energy created and directly delivered by the 160-acre Wynn Solar Facility and on-site rooftop solar panels. Wynn’s own renewable energy credits are then retired in the client’s name, or transferred to a corporate account, to offset all energy consumed.
Elements of the new service in addition to the zero-carbon energy offset are:
- Zero Waste Recycling Effort: Minimum of 90 percent of event waste will avoid landfills. Wynn’s single-stream recycling program and asset recovery system will ensure that all waste is accurately sorted.
- Aluminum Water Bottles: Plastic water bottles are replaced with recyclable, reusable aluminum water bottles and/or eco-friendly water bubblers with biodegradable compostable cups.
- No Single-Use Plastics: No plastic straws, place settings, drinkware, cutlery, or food stations.
- Sustainable Food Sourcing: Catering menus created from certified local ingredients, with capabilities to procure any organic, vegan, or highly specialized food sourcing request. Event food waste is collected and transferred to an agricultural farm and turned into animal feed.
- Event Materials Upcycling: Event product materials such as furniture, light fixtures, rugs, and supplies are donated to local non-profits that have longstanding partnerships with Wynn.
- Custom Reporting: Customized overview of all sustainability initiatives achieved at the event.
Wynn Las Vegas and Encore currently hold four Green Globes, the highest sustainable building certification from the Green Building Initiative.