The bow-to-stern revitalization of the Celebrity Summit, one of the Celebrity Cruises’ most popular ships, is now complete.
Part of The Celebrity Revolution, a $500-million+ fleet modernization, the transformation of the Celebrity Summit began on February 17, 2019 in Freeport, Grand Bahama. There, over the course of 31 days, thousands of engineers, architects, artisans, designers, contractors and members of the Celebrity team executed the revamp.
- Completely redesigned staterooms and suites
- The addition of The Retreat for suite guests, with exclusive sundeck and redesigned lounge
- Reimagined restaurants, bars and lounges
- Fully-redesigned spa and casino
“Celebrity Summit is one of the most popular ships in the Celebrity Cruises fleet and we’re excited to share the revolutionized design with the world,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, president and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. “Celebrity Summit is better than she’s ever been—with modernized spaces and exciting new experiences, and she’s the first of our ships to feature our partnerships with American Ballet Theatre and Chef Daniel Boulud.”
“Nearly every space on Celebrity Summit has been modernized, with attention paid to the smallest detail,” said Brian Abel, senior vice-president, Hotel Operations, Celebrity Cruises. “We couldn’t be more proud of the work that our teams have done for Summit’s ship’s ‘Revolution’ and the months of hard work leading up to this moment.”
Making a Stateroom Statement
International hospitality firm Hirsch Bedner Associates (HBA) transformed the ship’s statements, while designer Kelly Hoppen, MBE, was responsible for revamping the suites and bringing The Retreat to Celebrity Summit.
Stateroom and suite enhancements include:
- Celebrity’s eXhale bedding featuring Cashmere mattresses
- Completely redesigned stateroom bathrooms, with state-of-the-art finishes and fixtures
- An all-new exclusive open-air hideaway—known as The Retreat Sundeck—for suite guests, designed by Hoppen and featuring a new hot tub, cabanas, loungers, artwork and more
- The Retreat Lounge—formerly Michael’s Club—an exclusive 24/7 lounge for suite guests designed by Hoppen, offering complimentary beverages, gourmet bites and concierge service
- 30 new staterooms, including 13 new AquaClass Staterooms, seven new Ocean View Staterooms and 10 new Inside Staterooms
The ship’s transformation also included a revamp of its many restaurants and lounges.
In collaboration with New York hospitality design firm BG Studio International, a longtime partner of Celebrity, the brand revealed:
- A transformed Oceanview Café, featuring a new open concept, increased seating options and globally-inspired culinary offerings
- A revitalized Main Dining Room with more seating and updated fixtures, including the eye-catching ceiling design featuring interlocking metal rings and lighting
- A reimagined Sunset Bar, featuring a variety of inviting seating options perfect for alfresco dining or cocktails with a view
- A reimagined Rendezvous Lounge, perfect for hosting events and entertainment from day to night
The update of the ship also included enhancements to its spa, casino and WiFi offerings.
Enhancements across the ship include:
- Xcelerate WiFi throughout the ship
- Addition of RFID lock technology with digital key
- Boutiques featuring some of the world’s hottest designers and brands including Shinola, John Hardy and TAG Heuer
- A new, wellness-focused spa design for Canyon Ranch at Sea, transforming the treatment rooms, salon, fitness centre and locker rooms
- A new, semi-private consultation area in the fitness centre for personal training and consultations
- An enhanced Persian Garden thermal suite with Turkish bath, infrared sauna and salt therapy
- An enhanced Art Gallery and Photo Gallery, plus a sleek, new design for The Casino in partnership with HBA
- A redesigned Casino Bar and state-of-the-art slot machines
Celebrity Equinox, which will enter dry-dock in May 2019, is the next ship in line for a “Revolutionary” redesign. Six more ships are slated to be modernized by 2023.