The Events Industry Council (EIC) has issued a joint message from industry leaders in support of the global MICE community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The message, signed by EIC CEO Amy Calvert and EIC chair Paul Van Deventer, expresses the industry’s sympathy to “those who have lost loved ones and who face new struggles as a result of the crisis.” It also acknowledges that the impact on the global economy will be significant, and encourages “responsible fact-based, decision-making.”
Here is the message in its entirety:
The reality of COVID-19 reminds us that we are a global community representing a rich and diverse fabric of talented and dedicated professionals. We are also reminded of our common humanity in our vulnerabilities. As individuals, now is the time to focus on what matters most: the collective wellbeing and safety of our workplace, event participants and communities.
These circumstances are deeply affecting our society as a whole. As stewards of our industry, we lift up and hold in our hearts all of those who have lost loved ones and who face new struggles as a result of this crisis. We know that our 26 million industry professionals are part of a global collective and that we are seeing disruptions that are unprecedented.
This is the time to support one another as best we can while the world health and economic systems work toward the path of recovery. We commend event professionals around the globe for maintaining their continued focus on supporting safe, healthy and inclusive communities.
We do not know with any degree of certainty what the total impact will be on communities and the global economy; we do know that it will be significant. While we navigate this uncertainty, we counsel responsible, fact-based decision-making, grounded in empathy, delivered and received with kindness. We are a community that depends on one another, and indeed together we are stronger. Let us work together to the best of our abilities to honour our commitments to each other and the communities we serve.
As we have learned through experience, when we face these times together, we show our resilience and resolve. We are with you. We stand with you at this time. We will bring our hearts and minds together with a steadfast commitment to focus on recovery and to continue offering resources to lift up this industry.
EIC, on behalf of our industry and in collaboration with our 33 members, has focused on sharing and delivering relevant educational resources, insights and advocacy. We will continue to look for ways to serve, offering a unified voice in support of our industry, stakeholders, and mission.
EIC’s vision is to enrich lives and drive economic growth through the power of events worldwide. Our mission is to be the global voice of the business events industry on advocacy, research, professional recognition and standards. With a mindset focused on our values, collaboration, and empathy, we are well positioned to focus our energies where they are best placed: in support of each other.
On behalf of the Events Industry Council’s member organizations,
Amy Calvert, CEO, Events Industry Council
Paul Van Deventer, Chair, Events Industry Council
About the EIC
The Events Industry Council’s 30+ member organizations represent more than 103,500 individuals and 19,500 firms and properties involved in the events industry. Its four signature programmes—Sustainability, Industry Insights, Knowledge, Leadership—represent the key initiatives, assets, services and products for the EIC. The Council works to advance the events industry and the professionals who lead the business of meetings.
Events Industry Council members are:
- AMC Institute
- American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA)
- ASAE & The Center for Association Leadership (ASAE & The Center)
- Association of Collegiate Conference and Events Directors-International (ACCED-I)
- Association of Destination Management Executives International (ADMEI)
- Convention Sales Professionals International (CSPI)
- Corporate Event Marketing Association (CEMA)
- Destinations International
- Event Service Professionals Association (ESPA)
- Exhibition Services & Contractors Association (ESCA)
- Federacion De Entidades Organizadoras De Congresos Y Afines De America Latina (COCAL)
- Financial & Insurance Conference Professionals (FICP)
- Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International (HSMAI)
- Incentive Research Foundation
- International Association of Exhibitions & Events (IAEE)
- International Association of Professional Congress Organisers (IAPCO)
- International Association of Speakers Bureaus (IASB)
- International Association of Venue Managers (IAVM)
- International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA)
- International Exhibition Logistics Association (IELA)
- International Live Events Association (ILEA)
- Meeting Professionals International (MPI)
- National Association for Catering and Events (NACE)
- National Coalition of Black Meeting Professionals (NCBMP)
- National Speakers Association (NSA)
- Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA)
- Religious Conference Management Association (RCMA)
- Society for Incentive Travel Excellence (SITE)
- Society of Government Meeting Professionals (SGMP)
- Society of Independent Show Organizers (SISO)
- Southern African Association for the Conference Industry (SAACI)
- U.S. Travel Association (U.S. Travel)