The first One&Only resort in Asia opened earlier this month on a secluded beach on the southeast coast of Malaysia.
Designed by Kerry Hill Architects, the 45-key One&Only Desaru Coast is a modern interpretation of the traditional Malaysian kampung (village). It offers 42 junior suites, two 2-bedroom Grand Suites and an exclusive four-bedroom Villa One. All suites have a private plunge pool, indoor and outdoor living spaces, decadent bathrooms, and Malaysian-inspired design features.
“One&Only Desaru Coast offers a sanctuary, a welcome respite for those in need of a change of pace,” said Jerome Colson, general manager of the property. “Guests can take a breath, relax and recharge in their own private enclave of nature, savour the best of local and regional produce at our restaurants or focus on their wellbeing at our signature Chenot Spa.”
Highlights of the 128-acre resort include:
- Villa One – Suitable for larger groups or celebrations, this 16,145-square-foot two-storey villa has four bedrooms, a private spa treatment room, a home office, and a central courtyard garden with ocean-facing lawns surrounding a 27-metre swimming pool.
- Ember Beach Club – This beachside venue includes two infinity pools, a pristine beach, and a culinary program helmed by critically-acclaimed Chef Andrew Walsh and inspired by the age-old tradition of open-fire cooking, elevated and infused with Asian flavours.
- Club One – The resort’s activity hub gives guests access to tennis and padel courts, championship-level golf courses (the Els Club), lessons in Silat Melayu (traditional Malaysian martial art) and a wide range of water sports (Hobie cats, stand-up paddleboards, jet-skiing, kite surfing and more).
- Multiple dining and drinking options including Ambara (field-to-fork restaurant serving Mediterranean cuisine), Hoshi (signature Japanese restaurant), Essential (inventive Malaysian specialties), and Dusky Monkey bar (tailormade cocktails, regional rums, curated gins and more).
- Chenot Spa – Focusing on the “whole self,” the spa’s menu is built around four pillars: Sport & Physical Activities, Emotional Wellbeing, Nutrition, and Aesthetics. One, two and three-day programs include nutritional menus, fitness schedules, targeted spa treatments and stress-relieving activities. The resort also has a fully-equipped fitness studio, a specialist Pilates studio and a yoga pavilion.
Home to 80 species of flora and fauna, the resort also offers a curated range of active and mindful pursuits. These include Call of the Gibbons, a signature experience where guests can discover the jungle surroundings and hear the morning chatter of white-handed gibbons in the Panti Forest Reserve, and The View from the Top, which gives guests the opportunity to ascend trees in the rainforest surrounding the resort.
The resort will also feature a private homes community, with homes available to own or rent. It is accessible from Senai International Airport in Johor.