The Fairmont Century Plaza will reopen on September 27, 2021, following a complete reimagination.
An icon of mid-century modern design from renowned architect Minoru Yamasaka, the renowned Los Angeles hotel is now the centerpiece of a $2.5-billion USD mixed-use development project on 6.14 acres, which includes two 44-storey towers with 94,000 square feet of boutique shopping and 268 privately-owned luxury residences.
Fairmont Century Plaza is housed on 16 floors, offering an additional 63 privately-owned Fairmont residential units, as well as 400 guestrooms, including 49 suites.
“Fairmont Century Plaza will once again be the Los Angeles hotel—just as it was when it opening to worldwide acclaim in 1966,” said Philip Barnes, regional vice-president, Southern California and general manager, Fairmont Century Plaza.
Formerly a preferred venue for major Hollywood and world events, including the Emmy Awards and the Grammy Awards, the reimagined property is ready to resume hosting duties in its nearly 24,000 square feet of indoor meeting space and 4,000 square feet of outdoor rooftop space. Its 13,078 square-foot Los Angeles Ballroom is one of the city’s largest ballrooms.
International design firm Yabu Pushelberg was tasked with transforming the property. Their reimagination combines a modern take on 1960s nostalgia with Fairmont’s traditional grandeur—both with a California twist.
A major change at the property is the decrease in the number of guestrooms. The new Century Plaza returns with almost half the number of guestrooms, allowing for a larger, more luxurious footprint with spacious marble bathrooms and a balcony for every guestroom and suite.
Other amenities and services at the reimagined property include:
- Fairmont Gold, the brand’s exclusive hotel-within-a-hotel experience, featuring 70 guestrooms and suites with private check-in and checkout; exclusive access to the Gold Lounge; dedicated Personal Assistants offering 24/7 concierge service; and The Fairmont Gold Bar Cart, an on-demand martini cart that delivers customized cocktails straight to guests’ doors.
- Lumière, crafted by EDG Design, is a traditional French-inspired brasserie featuring local, seasonal ingredients and refined dishes, including brasserie favourites such as French onion soup and steak frites.
- The Bar at Century Plaza, a lobby bar surrounded by a living green wall, floating fireplace and water feature, and featuring floor-to-ceiling windows that retract into the floor, creating an open space filled with natural light and fresh air.
- Fairmont Spa Century Plaza, a 14,000-square-foot spa with nine Yabu Pushelberg-designed treatment rooms, experiential rain showers, aromatherapy steam rooms, a hamman, and a Himalayan salt room. It will be home to an evolving roster of world-renowned wellness experts including Dr. Oz Garcia, a biohacker and leading authority on healthy aging, and Dr. Rita Rakus, the London-based rejuvenation and anti-aging aesthetic treatment pioneer.
- The Rooftop Pool and Pool Bar, spaces offering views of Los Angeles, including the Pacific Ocean, the Getty Museum, and the Hollywood Hills.
As part of Accor, Fairmont Century Plaza is a member of Planet 21, an industry-leading corporate social responsibility program that promotes environmental sustainability in the company’s hotels and communities.
Built to LEED Silver standards, Fairmont Century Plaza features include a rooftop green area and water-efficient landscaping as well as state-of-the-art recycling and composting programs.