Guinness Open Gate Brewery opens today in Chicago.
Located in a transformed rail depot in the city’s West Loop neighborhood, the 15,000-square-foot facility – brewery, taproom, restaurant and bakery – is Guinness’ second brewery location in the United States, with the Guinness Open Gate Brewery Baltimore having opened in 2018. The bakery is the first to open globally.
“Open Gate Brewery is the center of innovation and creativity for Guinness, particularly when it comes to beer,” said Ryan Wagner, National Guinness Ambassador and head of Marketing, Guinness OGB Chicago. “Opening in Chicago allows us to be a part of one of the most storied and celebrated beer communities in the United States – and we can’t wait to bring the unique flavors and heritage of Guinness brewing to an exciting tap list that will appeal to every kind of beer drinker.”
On the beverage side, Guinness Open Gate Brewery (OGB) Chicago will offer 12 to 16 experimental draughts, most of which will be brewed on site and exclusively available in the taproom. They will be served alongside signatures like Guinness Draught Stout, Guinness Extra Stout, and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, which will always come straight from Dublin.
The facility’s culinary program is led by Dream Team Hospitality. It features a menu inspired by the brand’s Irish roots (think Guinness Stout-infused Brown Bread and Guinness Stew) and global footprint (Duck Udon, Shakshuka Pot Pie, for example), alongside reimagined Chicago classics such as Chicago Caviar, an appetizer that pairs waffle cut and fried potatoes (gaufrettes) with giardiniera dip.
Guinness OGB Chicago offers morning bakery and café service daily, with an all-day restaurant menu available Wednesday through Sunday, as well as brunch on weekends.
Ready for groups
Guinness Open Gate Brewery Chicago is available for private breakfasts, lunches, dinners and receptions Monday through Sunday, as well as corporate buyouts and weddings. The venue’s private event space, the Barrel Room (shown top of post), is anchored by an undulating bottle art installation with garage doors that open to the patio. The Barrel Room can accommodate up to 108 guests for a seated meal or can be divided into a smaller space for more intimate groups. The Barrel Room has a dedicated sound system with full AV access and two 83″ TVs with full connectivity.
Buyouts can accommodate up to 316 for a seated meal or 470 for a reception-style event. A full restaurant buyout includes exclusive access to the entire restaurant, private event space, patio and a customized menu.
Committed to sustainability and the community
Guinness Open Gate Brewery Chicago is dedicated to operating in a sustainable manner and contributing to the community.
Its sustainability initiatives include:
- Source 100% renewable electricity from solar panels and renewable energy credits
- Operate as a zero waste to landfill facility
- Utilize a 100% electric boiler, which generates steam used to heat the mash
- Commit that all spent grain from the brewing process will go to compost
In addition to sponsoring and taking part in local events, its community commitments are:
- Donating 10,000 loaves of Brewers Bread to the Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Partnering with Choose Chicago and the Choose Chicago Foundation 501(c)(3) to support their Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Apprenticeship Program, which offers on-the-job experience to those from historically underrepresented BIPOC communities
- Taking part in Learning Skills for Life in partnership with the YWCA of Chicago. Learning Skills for Life is a complimentary global program started by Diageo (Guinness’ parent company), which teaches business and hospitality skills to those seeking employment in the hospitality industry, but who may have faced barriers to education and employment in their lives.