Langham Hospitality Group has broken ground on The Langham, Venice, a 133-room property set directly on the Venetian laguna on the island of Murano, Italy.
Slated to open in 2026, the hotel resort will be housed in the historic former Casino Mocenigo building and Murano glass factory. Award-winning Italian architects Matteo Thun & Partners have been tasked with regeneration of the 16th century casino, including its original frescoes, and the redevelopment of the 20th century industry glass factory buildings.
“The Langham, Venice is an integral part of Langham Hospitality Group’s global strategic expansion,” said Brett Butcher, CEO, Langham Hospitality Group. “The ground-breaking transitions from concept to creation reinforcing our commitment to bring to life the iconic Langham signatures in one of Europe’s most important cultural hubs.”
Highlights of the property will include:
- Fully-restored Renaissance buildings facing the laguna, where guests will arrive by boat and disembark;
- the complete restoration of original frescoes from the 1500’s dedicated to Music, Poetry and Love;
- retention and restoration of the original facades of the old glass furnace buildings, including the original wooden trusses;
- touches celebrating Murano’s history of glassmaking placed throughout the guestrooms, suites and public spaces;
- an on-site restaurant with alfresco and indoor seating together with an exclusive rooftop bar;
- two meeting and event venues in a historic setting, one with laguna vistas and the other a central courtyard with indoor and outdoor spaces;
- and an on-site cooking school.
The restored buildings will wrap around a central private courtyard with a pool. A rarity in Venice, the 20-metre pool will be the centrepiece of “an immersive private lawned garden.”
Elisa Vago, partner in charge of the project for Matteo Thun & Partners, said: “When we were asked by Langham Hospitality Group to submit our vision for a luxury resort in Murano, we were enthused by the unique opportunity to return historial buildings to their past glory and provide an extraordinary destination for the cultured, the curious and fun-loving visitors seeking to experience the authentic Venice.
“We have worked closely with Langham Hospitality Group and the Venetian Heritage authorities to ensure that The Langham, Venice is an authentic reflection of the distinctiveness of Venetian culture and lifestyle. As the project starts on site, we cannot wait to see this vision materialize.”