Moxy Halifax Downtown opened today, marking the brand’s debut in Canada.
Located in the Nova Scotia capital city’s downtown, the new 160-room hotel is just steps away from restaurants, shopping, spas, galleries, parks, and entertainment and sports venues.
“As we continue to grow our global portfolio, introducing the spirited Moxy brand to Canada with the opening of Moxy Halifax Downtown is a milestone we are excited to celebrate,” said Matthew Boettcher, vice-president of Distinctive Select Brand Portfolio, Marriott International. “Halifax is a city full of energy, culture, and diversity, making it the perfect destination for a brand like Moxy.”
The design of the main lobby reflects Halifax’s industrial and military past, with steel bridge columns flanking the bar area, exposed brick, and an original cannon. It also features a custom-built DJ booth and an installation of vintage luggage as a nod to the city’s global influences. Among the hotel’s notable details is a stately steel lion sculpture, a reference to the Nova Scotia flag, installed at the hotel entrance and created by local firm, Ballast Design Studios.
Moxy Halifax Downtown’s guestrooms feature unique layouts, including 18 suites with an open kitchen. Designed to maximize space, the rooms have modular furniture including Moxy’s signature Stellar Works foldable workspace desks and chairs, as well as smart features like peg walls, motion-activated LED lights, keyless entry, 55-inch flat-screen TVs, and complimentary Wi-Fi. All rooms also have a retro phone that plays themed bedtime stories to help guests doze off.
Other amenities at Moxy Halifax Downtown include:
- 1,250 square feet of meeting and event space spread across four rooms, the largest of which can accommodate 100 people.
- Lion’s Den: This hidden room pays homage to Trinity Anglican Church, which was the original building on the site. It features stained glass replicas and pipes from the original organ suspended from the ceiling.
- Bar Moxy: A working/connecting space by day and social hub in the evening, the property’s bar serves breakfast, lunch and dinner alongside a drinks menu that include rotating taps of local beer brands a wine-o-matic featuring local wineries.
- Moxy Pick-Ups: 24/7 spot offering grab-and-go snacks and drinks.
- Fitness room where guests can access a boxing bag, gym equipment, and a full-circuit gym.